I spend most of my days like any machine: alone, cold and in the dark. Few people know my real name, Isaiah Midnight, and few people outside my family have ever really seen me outside the confinements of my house. Most people don't even know I exist.
I rarely leave, due to a rare genetic mutation I was born with. Or so that's what my parents have come to make me believe. Because of the lack of sunlight my whole life my skin is nearly translucent and my dark brown hair is almost black. I look inhuman. My eyes especially. Their blue color is such a bright, startling blue they're almost electric.
Twenty years ago in 2100 I had a horrible accident and suffered amnesia. That's what they told me at least. I don't remember a thing from before the accident anyway, if there even was one. I haven't aged since and my parents told me it was because of a genetic mutation. But That's not enough for me. I don't believe it, but I have no better answer. What I do know is that my life is full of lies. Truth lurks somewhere in the dark corners of my mind, I know this. There are answers buried deep within my thoughts.
They've just yet to be found.
"Machine," a voice called, pulling me from my thoughts. I hate that people called me that, but I was so accustomed to hearing it and I'm so machine like that it doesn't matter anymore. I just let them call me that.
I turned to face the woman I called my mother. "Yes?"
"Come on. Grab your cloak and get read. We're going shopping."
It's never a rare sight to see people walking around in dark gray cloaks. Not because of them having a condition like mine, (because for all I know I'm thin only one in the world who has it) but because there are the Elders. They run the town and for some odd reason they hide their faces. My mother came up with the idea of wearing a cloak. It at least got me outside without being bothered (you just don't bother Elders). And it got me closer to people outside of my family.
My lack of communication with the outside world had caused a great fascination to erupt within me many years ago. I just couldn't help myself but be so curious about these people. I craved the time when my mother would take me outside of the dark world I lived in and gave me the chance to observe people closer than from my bedroom window.
Although I am human, I am not fully human. I just know it. Knowing that, for some perverse reason, makes me love watching the 'purebred' humans. And I do not use that term lightly. The Elders and government experiment with humans. I believe I may be one of those experiments, but there's no telling.
"Hey." My mother again. I looked out the window. We were at the market. I spend a lot of time thinking and reading. I often get lost in it. What else are you supposed to do when you're completely alone all the time with no one to talk to?
Walking through the market I stared wonderingly at all the people around me. This was so uncommon for me that I took in everything on the rare occasion I was let out.
A frail figure about a foot shorter than me bumped into my burly chest. She staggered and I put my hands on her shoulders to steady her. Her friend, who had been talking animatedly, abruptly stopped, her eyes wide. She probably thought I was an Elder with my height of six foot, two inches and black cloak. Elders never came in contact with commoners, at all costs.
"Sorry sir," the girl stammered. "She wasn't watching where she was going. Won't happen again. We promise."
"S'alright miss," my voice rumbled out. It was so alien to me. I don't talk much. "I'm not an Elder. Just someone a little sensitive to sun." I lifted my hood a little and winked at the one who had ran into me. She gasped and stared at me.
The girl sighed. "Thank God. I swear if you do that again and it' s not him," she said pointing to me, "I swear I will kill you Kate Niks. I swear it." She pulled her friend away.
Kate Niks. What a lovely girl.
"I hope we meet again, Kate Niks," I whispered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment